Many people suffer from mental illness (1 in 4), but their suffering is mostly invisible, so we underestimate how many people feel the same as we do. 1 in 10 attendees last year made use of the offer of free counselling slots.
- put yourself first, ask "What's in it for me?", say NO
- if I burn out, I'm less useful than when I take a break. Look at long-term capacity.
- GitHub metrics can be seriously harmful, they push you to overcommit
- asking for help is really good and important and rarely punished
- issues are real even if they are in your head, if you look away, if they aren't diagnosed
- people who make fun of you for asking for help are rare, toxic and wrong
- it's ok to say no when others ask for help: put yourself first
- We're a community - helping is what we are here for
- Follow the happy little sushi roll: support people by being there
- Django Software Foundation Well-Being Committee: Proof-of-concept accepted by the Django Software Foundation, implementation in progress. Mission: Provide peer support for community members who need to talk to somebody who just listens and understand. Be there for issues like stress management, depression, anxiety, work-life balance, relationships, self-esteem and identity, LGBTQIA issues. Volunteers needed, but don't overcommit! (mail)
- Happiness Packets: Anonymous outreach program to show gratefulness or spread happiness in general: here